Wednesday, June 26, 2013

June 26, 2013


Oh, hello there. (Bob Ross voice)

It has been a while since I've posted I'm truly sorry. Once that needle comes out I'm worse than a Mexican jumping bean - all over the place and can't be stopped.

I've actually been thinking about exactly that recently: back in November and December, I found myself questioning if life ever would be the same. Of course in many ways it most certainly will not, but I specifically thought about the physical aspect of what was going on. Before all the symptoms hampered me, I would consider myself to be a pretty active guy, trying to participate in a variety of sports. Then after the surgeries, I walked whatever short distance I could hunched over - a far cry from racquetball or squash days. It's unbelievable how far I've come and hopefully I can continue to progress towards full health. Maybe I enjoy getting out and golfing so much because it brings me back to before everything happened medically. Or perhaps I enjoy it just because I physically can do it - something that shouldn't be taken for granted.

That all being said, this heat wave is seriously cramping my style. Like legitimately a month ago it was a high of 50 here. I remember it vividly. Insane weather.


So what else is new? Nothing! I'm boring I told you. Just trying to plan out the rest of my summer now that I'm starting to see how I feel at certain points of each chemo cycle. So many things to make sure I do and see when I can. Which leads to another point - there really are some great people out there. Thank you to all of you; the amount of love, support and continuous generosity that has been shown time and time again to my family and me is simply unreal. It, of course, does not go unnoticed, ever.

Since the heat is unbearable...WiiGolf today. I'll update with a high score soon.....shooting for that -18 still. Later everyone.

3 comments:

  1. Bob Ross fan,eh? Why not take up painting and paint some happy little trees....though I'm sure they're wilting today and would melt on the canvas from this heat and humidity.
    Glad to hear you sound so upbeat and thoroughly grounded. I am happy you have grabbed each day for whatever it brings and are focused on getting right back to where you were not too long ago. Make the most of those days you feel the best and make nothing of the days that overcome you.
    And as for golf, well, watching it on TV (or for that matter playing it) is not altogether too different from watching those happy little trees dry..........

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness!! You could never be boring. Listen, if golf makes you happy then go for it!! It's a calm relaxing sport both to watch and play. It gets you out in the fresh air and I'm certain you'll pick up friends along the way. What could be better? Mom showed me the picture of you in the first grade and the booklet ( I still do all of that). it made me smile. I remember well when you wrote about dad betting on the horses, I couldn't stop laughing! You were my funny man in the first grade! I get to clean my house now and get ready for the grand-kids visit on the 4th. It's nice to have the summer away from plan books and test corrections and everything else that teaching involves. Be happy!! Love you.
    Mrs. V

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's me again. I'm cleaning out some folders and I came across this. On being A Champion by
    Mattie Stepanek. Mattie had muscular dystrophy. he wrote many beautiful books of poetry. This one
    is one of my favorites. On being A Champion ...A champion is a winner, A hero...Someone who never gives up even when the going gets rough. A champion is a member of a winning team...someone
    who overcomes challenges even when it requires creative solutions. A champion is an optimist, a hopeful spirit, someone who plays the game, even when the game is called life...especially when the game is called life. There can be a champion in each of us, if we live as a winner, if we live as a member of the team, if we live with a hopeful spirit, for life. You are a CHAMPION!! Love, me

    ReplyDelete