Friday, December 13, 2013

December 13, 2013

Friday the 13th, and I haven't blogged in a while. I owe you guys one.

What's new with Nicky Mo? Lots to update since the last blog, so let's get started! The platelets were a paltry 67 on Monday. I was encouraged by this because they had gone up slightly (I think from 63) after I had weaned off steroids which were intended to help the platelet number go up. Couple that with starting up this platelet stimulator, and the number should go up, no? Well that was the plan. And all I do is execute plans with terrifying efficiency woooooooooooo. You thought I was about to drop some depressing nonsense on you but nopeeeeee; on Thursday morning, my platelets were 101, a 50% increase in merely 3 full days. Still a ways to go to be able to do chemo, but at least my bone marrow isn't totally fried yet.

Now everyone is probably wondering if I'm getting the reactions that we're all looking for with this treatment. For whatever reason, I haven't been getting the violent shaking, chills, and overly high fever (104ish). However, I have been getting delayed reactions...I'll be fine for like 4-6 hours and then I'll just start crushing a low grade fever, anywhere from 99-101 degrees. The whole point of the shot is to trigger the immune system into action, as evidenced by the fever...so the fact that I'm getting the fever eventually means the immune system is kicking into gear and doing its thing. In essence, somehow my body has found the "Goldilocks zone" of this treatment, so far: I don't get the violent reaction that is seemingly common, but I don't get zero reaction at all - it's a nice little spot in between.

Of course the weather is getting ridiculously nice out here as we're wrapping up this trip...first day at home and the high here is supposed to be 80. Of course. Wouldn't have it any other way though. Gimme that 20 degrees and face frozen off in 2 minutes...that's home. Later everyone.


No comments:

Post a Comment